Remove Crankshaft Front Seal And Wear Sleeve
a) remove vibration damper and pulley
NOTE: When a replacement of the front seal (1) is made, a replacement of the wear sleeve is to be made also.
1. Remove the crankshaft front seal with tooling (A).
2. Install tool (C) into the seal bore.
3. Install tool (B) between tool (C) and the wear sleeve. Turn tool (B) until the edge of the tool makes a flat place (crease) in the wear sleeve. Do this in two or more places until the wear sleeve is loose.
4. Remove tool (C) and the wear sleeve by hand.
Install Crankshaft Front Seal And Wear Sleeve
NOTE: The wear sleeve and seal must be installed together.
1. Put clean engine oil on the seal lip and on the outside diameter of wear sleeve (1). Install seal (2) on the wear sleeve as shown with the lip of the seal toward the side of the wear sleeve that has the chamfer on the inside diameter.
2. Use 6V1541 Quick Cure Primer to remove any oil from inside diameter “X” of the wear sleeve and surface “Y” of the crankshaft. Make an application of 9S3265 Retaining Compound to surfaces “X” and “Y”.
3. Put the wear sleeve and seal on to the crankshaft as shown with the lip of the seal toward the engine.
4. Install tooling (A) as shown and put lubricant between the bolt head and installer.
5. Use tooling (A) to push the wear sleeve and seal on to the crankshaft until the installer is against the end of the crankshaft. The wear sleeve and seal will then be in the correct location.
6. Remove tooling (A).
a) install vibration damper and pulley