System Operation Description:
There are problems that could be reported with the PL522 or 523 system but the problems are not caused by the PL522 or 523 system. The problem can be described as the intervals between reports are erratic. This section contains steps that are used to determine the possible cause. Check for active diagnostic codes for the PL522 or 523. Correct any diagnostic codes before proceeding. Visually inspect the following items for damage: PL522 or 523 module, antenna and cables. Verify that there are no loose connections.
The PL522 or 523 system depends on several communication links in order to transfer data from the machine to the office. The following procedures assume that these communication links are operating properly. The proper communication links are listed below:
- The network for cellular communications is operational in the geographic area of concern. The network is operational when messages can be sent to VisionLink.
- The PL522 or 523 system is correctly configured to communicate on the network for cellular communications.
- The Caterpillar Electronic Technician (Cat ET ) is configured properly and the software is functioning.
The PL522 or 523 modules should not be replaced without verifying that these issues have been investigated. Contact your Caterpillar Technical Communicator for aid in resolving these issues.
Test Step 1. ACCESS THE PL522 or 523 THROUGH THE CAT ET SERVICE TOOL.
- Connect the Cat ET service tool to the machine.
- Verify that the ECM (VIMS Main Module) is present.
The ECM (VIMS Main Module) is present.
- OK – The ECM (VIMS Main Module) is available. Proceed to Test Step 2.
- NOT OK – The ECM (VIMS Main Module) is not present in the screen for the Cat ET service tool.
Repair: Verify that the wiring for the PL522 or 523 has been installed correctly. Check the wiring with a multimeter. If the ECM (VIMS Main Module) is not present, refer to Systems Operation, Troubleshooting, Testing and Adjusting, “Electronic Service Tool Does Not Communicate with ECM”.
Test Step 2. VERIFY THAT THE PL522 or 523 IS IN POWER MODE 1.
- Select “Status Parameters” for Cat ET.
- Verify that the “Power Mode Status” is “Power Mode 1”. Verify that the “Key Switch Status” is “On”.
The machine is in “Power Mode 1” and “Key Switch On”.
- OK – The screens for Cat ET are correct. Proceed to Test Step 3.
- NOT OK – The screens for Cat ET are not correct. A report of the position is sent in “Power Mode 2”. Even if this problem explains the current reports that are arriving at the office, proceed to Step 3.
Test Step 3. VERIFY THAT THE PL522 or 523 MODULE MONITORS THE “MACHINE RUN STATUS” PROPERLY.
- Go to “Status Parameters” for Cat ET .
- Start the machine.
- Verify that the “Power Mode Status” changes to ” Power Mode 1″.
- Verify the “Alternator Running Input” switches to “Engine Running”.
- Verify that the “Key Switch Status” is “On”.
The status screen for Cat ET changes to “Power Mode 1” and “Engine Running”. The “Key Switch Status” should be “On”.
- OK – The screens for Cat ET are correct. The PL522 or 523 should send four position reports and one report daily until the power mode changes to “Power Mode 2”. The power mode can be viewed in CPLS. Proceed to Test Step 4.
- NOT OK – The screen for Cat ET shows “Engine Off”.
Repair: Verify that the Alternator R-Terminal wiring has not been damaged. Check to see that the machine SMU and the PL522 or 523 SMH no longer match. Refer to Systems Operation, Troubleshooting, Testing and Adjusting, “Operating Hours Discrepancy”.
- NOT OK – The screen Cat ET shows “Power Mode 2”.
Repair: Verify that the wiring for the switched power (308-YL) is correct. Repair the wiring.
Test Step 4. CHECK THE INSTALLATION OF THE ANTENNA.
Observe installation of the antenna for the PL522 or 523. Verify that the antenna is installed with a clear view of the sky. The antenna must be in a location that is free from interference. Examples of interference include the following items: devices on the roof of the machine that emit power, other antennas that are close to the antenna for the PL522 or 523, indoor machine, machine under large signs that are lighted and machine under power lines.
The antenna is installed on the highest point of the machine. There is a clear view of the sky.
- OK – The antenna for the PL522 or 523 is installed properly. Verify that all of the connections for the antenna are tight. A test message can be sent in order to verify communications. Monitor the performance of the communication in order to verify that reports are not erratic.STOP
- NOT OK – Installation of the antenna is not optimal. Accept the current performance of the communication or reinstall the antenna at a superior location.STOP